Think a home security system is too expensive or too complex to set up? Many options exist for every budget and every size home, apartment, or condo.
Our team has reviewed some of the most popular options on the market.
Cheapest and Easiest to Install: If you’re on budget and looking to DIY install, here are a few good options:
- SimpliSafe: Founded in 2006, Simplisafe is an easy to install security system priced at $299. No contract is required.
- Frontpoint: Frontpoint offers the same high quality security equipment as security companies like Brinks, but without the need for professional installers. Base price is $319.95
- Ring: Ring is one of the cheapest systems out there with an outdoor camera. The base prince is $199, and installation is DIY.
- ADT: ADT is the largest home security company in the US and has more than 7 million customers. A wide range of equipment and services are available with contracts starting at 2 years. Monthly fees start at $28.99
- Vivint Smart Home: While not cheap, the Vivint Smart Home is a wireless home security system that is rich in features. The security equipment from Vivint integrates with many home automation devices.
Before you buy- consider the pros and cons of a home security system:
- Can help deter break-ins
- Can help deter petty theft and package theft
- Can help save money on home insurance
- Provides some peace of mind when you’re away from home and overnight.
- Can be expensive to purchase, and often requires a monthly fee
- Doesn’t guarantee a faster police response.
- Wireless systems and camera monitoring can present a privacy risk.
What convicted burglars have said:
- More than 80% don’t try to disable a security system they encounter
- 43% say they never break into a home with if they see that it has an alarm
- 50% of burglars report that they leave a home immediately if they encounter a security system.
[sc name=”disableGoogleAds” ]